What does it mean to be FirstGen?
If a parent did not earn a four-year degree, you are a first-generation college student. You are a trailblazer and change maker.
The FirstGen Center
The FirstGen Center is a supportive community of first-generation students, faculty, alumni, and local professionals here to support you in your transition to college. Our mission is to empower first-generation students to successfully navigate their college experience and persist to graduation through resiliency coaching, supportive services, and leadership opportunities.
The FirstGen Center:
- Connects first generation students to resources and supports on campus that will increase their academic success and connection
- Assists students during the transition from high school to college and college to career
- Fosters meaningful peer and faculty/staff relationships
- Provides leadership and mentorship opportunities to enhance students’ personal growth and professional development
- Provides various groups to meet students’ social, emotional, and academic needs
- Hosts dinners, social events, and networking opportunities
- Provides free professional attire for interviews, jobs, and internships through the Career Closet
- A space to connect with other FirstGen students and Success Coaches
- One-to-one and small group support on study skills, time management, goal setting, and budgeting
- Workshops on navigating stressors on and off campus
- Books for many courses through the growing Lending Library
- Free professional attire for interviews, jobs, and internships through the Career Closets
- Personal growth and professional development
- Support on acclimating to campus life
- Leadership training
- Mentoring and community service opportunities
- Support from other FirstGen students
- FirstGen students have the opportunity to become a part of our Mentorship Program which allows them to mentor first-year students
- Professional networking
- Internship opportunities
- Social events
- Scholarship opportunities
- Specialized First Year Falcon Seminar
Where Can You Find Us?
First Gen Club meeting room is located on 2nd floor of Administration Building – Room 207