What does it mean to be FirstGen?
If a parent did not earn a four-year degree, you are a first-generation college student. You are a trailblazer and change maker.
The FirstGen Center
The FirstGen Center is a supportive community of first-generation students, faculty, alumni, and local professionals here to support you in your transition to college. Our mission is to empower first-generation students to successfully navigate their college experience and persist to graduation through resiliency coaching, supportive services, and leadership opportunities.
The FirstGen Center:
- Connects first generation students to resources and supports on campus that will increase their academic success and connection
- Assists students during the transition from high school to college and college to career
- Fosters meaningful peer and faculty/staff relationships
- Provides leadership and mentorship opportunities to enhance students’ personal growth and professional development
- Provides various groups to meet students’ social, emotional, and academic needs
- Hosts dinners, social events, and networking opportunities
- Provides free professional attire for interviews, jobs, and internships through the Career Closet
- A space to connect with other FirstGen students and Success Coaches
- One-to-one and small group support on study skills, time management, goal setting, and budgeting
- Workshops on navigating stressors on and off campus
- Books for many courses through the growing Lending Library
- Free professional attire for interviews, jobs, and internships through the Career Closets
- Personal growth and professional development
- Support on acclimating to campus life
- Leadership training
- Mentoring and community service opportunities
- Support from other FirstGen students
- FirstGen students have the opportunity to become a part of our Mentorship Program which allows them to mentor first-year students
- Professional networking
- Internship opportunities
- Social events
- Scholarship opportunities
- Specialized First Year Falcon Seminar
Where Can You Find Us?
Our center is located on the 2nd floor of the Library Building by the Falcons’ Nest. Come see us!
Monday and Wednesday: 9:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Tuesday and Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.