The Notre Dame College English Program strives to develop students’ skills in writing, reading, researching, and critical thinking, while also promoting personal responsibility and fostering appreciation for literature.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students completing a major in English will be able to:
- Write complete and effective sentences, paragraphs and essays in Standard American English (Linguistic Analysis).
- Analyze any text for its purpose, audience, genre, voice and format (Rhetorical Analysis).
- Discuss key elements of the works of major authors in their cultural contexts (Literary Analysis).
- Locate, evaluate and synthesize disparate ideas and sources of information in support of a central idea (Research and Analysis).
- Apply critical theories to a variety of texts in a broad range of media (Theoretical Analysis).