Notre Dame College Campus
About the emblems
The five symbols that were chosen for the Q-Art Walking Tour project first appeared in Notre Dame College history in the first yearbook, the Endameon (meaning A book of our Lady), printed in 1929. These symbols are taken from historic symbols used by the Sisters of Notre Dame to evoke the Blessed Virgin Mary. They are also found on the façade of the Administration building and in art throughout the campus. If you look at the façade of the Administration building, you will see how these symbols are used in the very fabric of the College.
Fleur De Lis with the Sword
The Fleur de Lis, packed with meaning, has always symbolized Mary, the Mother of God, and is used in many different forms. It resembles the Iris and the Madonna Lily, or the Sword Lily, and symbolizes our Lady’s Seven Sorrows. Appearing here with the Sword symbol it hearkens to the pierced heart of Mary. The Fleur de Lis has been attributed with many other meanings. It is featured in the Coat of Arms of the Sisters of Notre Dame on roundels which symbolize travel and apostolic mobility. The three points of the Fleur de Lis symbolize faith, hope and charity – the vows of the Sisters of Notre Dame.
The Sport Symbol with the Star
The Tree of Life with Four Symbols
The Lily Shield with Original NDC Insignia
The Crown of Mary
Thanks to Our Team
Thanks to all of the Notre Dame College faculty, staff, students and volunteers who helped make this virtual tour possible.
Courtney Alexander-Smith | Dave Hall ’12 | Tom Meeks & the NDC Facilities Team | Louise Prochaska | Barbara Ringle | Patricia Harding | Ted Steiner | Sr. Elizabeth Wood | Karen Zoller
Construction began on the Clara Fritzsche Library on October 24, 1969, and was completed and opened for use in the summer of 1971. Built by Ferris Construction and Architect Ernest Prayer, the original capacity was 100,000 volumes. It was named to honor the mother of former NDC Advisory Board member Paul Fritzsche. Clara was also a known industrialist in Cleveland.
In 2015 all the holdings of the library were consolidated and relocated to the second floor. Any back issues of periodicals went into basement storage of the building. The first floor was then transformed into the Falcons’ Nest, which is still open today as an all-purpose student center.
The Book-A-Year club had an exhibit room on the first floor of the library that honored members. The club was founded in 1935 by Sister Mary Genevieve Baker, a 1928 alumna. Members would contribute annual funds to purchase new materials for the Clara Fritzsche Library. This room held over 90 exhibits between 1997 and 2015. Today, it is used for student art exhibits and has been renamed the Falcons’ Nest Gallery.
The Falcon Café is located at the east entrance of the library building. It offers food, drinks and a shop filled with NDC merchandise. It has Wi-Fi available for student use. In 2007, the patio was added. It expanded twice in 2009 and 2015 to accommodate the influx of patrons.
The Falcons’ Nest was added in 2015. It houses exercise facilities, pool tables, air hockey, arcade games, a lounge area for student use, study spaces, a conference room and offices for Student Affairs staff. This is also located on the first floor of the library, just past the Falcon Café.
Today the library also features a smart classroom. With a large seating capacity, this room is equipped with two smart boards and interactive smart technology for instructors to use to better teach their students. The Clara Fritzsche Library has seen many upgrades and changes throughout the years and remains an integral part of the Notre Dame College campus today.
Originally built in 1987 for athletics, the Keller center was expanded in 2003. The center was named in honor of Joseph H. Keller, who served as President of the NDC Board of Advisors from 1975-1982. Joseph Keller was also the very first to receive the NDC Fidelia Award for service and dedication to the college.
The original 1987 construction included the gymnasium, a 25 yard, six lane pool, locker rooms, a weight room, athletic training room, and offices for the coaching staff. After the increase in enrollment due to the college becoming co-educational, a plan was created to expand the Keller center. In 2003, the fitness rooms as well as the locker rooms were expanded. Also added were laundry facilities, classrooms, and additional offices for athletic staff.
The fitness center located in the Keller Center is the Lennon Fitness Center. It was gifted to NDC by the Fred A. Lennon Foundation, but was named for Alice P. Lennon. Mr. Lennon himself was also a member of the Notre Dame College Board of Trustees.
The pool is named for Louise E. Mellen, and was a gift of the Mellon Foundation. The Murphy gym was named for John P. Murphy and was gifted by the Murphy Foundation.
The Keller Center is a building that has always been used for athletics. When walked through today, the Hall of Champions can be seen.
During her five-year tenure as Notre Dame College president, Sr. Mary Luke Arntz oversaw some major construction projects on campus. Under her watch Connelly Center, as well as Alumnae Hall and the Clara Fritzsche Library, were built between 1968 and 1971.
In 1966-1967, due to increasing demand for on-campus housing, donors to the library fund were asked to release their contributions to a building fund for a new dining facility and residence hall. The new facilities were named Connelly Center and Alumnae Hall, respectively.
Decemberv 3, 1967, the College hosted a formal groundbreaking ceremony for Alumnae Hall and the dining hall/student center, named Connelly Center in recognition of the generosity and service of the William C. Connelly family.
In 1952 Connelly, a Cleveland-area business leader, founded and served as first chair of the Notre Dame Advisory Board, now the Board of Trustees. Connelly was awarded lifetime membership on the board in 1959.
On December 1, 1968, the first meal was served in the new dining hall. The center officially opened in 1969 and was officially dedicated on September 23, 1972.
The Connelly Center included student center areas, called “dating parlors.” In 1980, these spaces were razed to create a new coffeehouse and pub named Night Class. Night Class officially opened on September 18 of that year. Managed by students, it offered live entertainment; soft drinks; 3.2 beer, beer that contains 3.2% alcohol by weight; and snacks.
Updates continued over the years:
- In 1982 a “Ms Pac Man” video game was installed in the Connelly Recreation Room.
- In 1990 a new sound system for the dining room, the Rinehart Room and a lounge are created in Connelly Center.
- In 2003 new coolers and freezers were installed in the Connelly Center kitchen.
- In 2006 a patio is constructed behind the Connelly Center dining hall.
- In 2008 wireless internet access was made available in Connelly Center and the dining hall.
- In 2009 a “Spirit Rock” is revealed behind Connelly Center.
Since 1994, the dining hall has been serviced by Marriott Food Service, Atrium Catering, AVI Food Systems and now Normandy Catering.
In addition to the dining hall, Connelly became home to the Career Services Center in 2007, The center since has moved to the Clara Fritzsche Library. The Center for Counseling and Wellness moved to Connelly Center in 2015. The Counseling Center recently added a “chill spot” relaxation room in the facility.
The dining hall was renovated in 2008, 2011 and again in 2022.
In 2015 the dining hall extended its food service hours until 8:30 p.m. to better accommodate students participating in sports and other extracurricular activities.
Each year in November, students still are treated to a traditional, family-style Thanksgiving dinner by faculty and staff in Connelly Center.
In 2016, the space outside of the dining hall that previously was a student lounge was transformed into the Enterprise Development Center with a $250,000 commitment from the Dustin Family Foundation and a $100,000 grant from The Burton D. Morgan Foundation. Designed by Paul Deutsch of Bialoskly + Partners Architects, the EDC @ NDC is a flexible-use space with a 60-person networking and pitch stage area, a 36-seat smart classroom and an 8-seat video conference room, as well as a state-of-the-art, six-station graphic design and digital marketing computer lab. The renovation has helped foster a robust entrepreneurial culture on campus.
The College officially dedicated the EDC on April 16, 2018, with a presentation by the AR450 Student Collaborative Projects game design class. The program partnership involved startup tech companies 360 Alley and IRL Labs, and a Notre Dame alumnus working at the Entertainment Technology Center of Carnegie Mellon University. The team created an augmented reality exploration of a Holocaust memorial in Pittsburgh.
The EDC is a space where students representing all areas of study across the campus are able to collaborate with their peers, faculty, business and community leaders.
The Regina Auditorium was acquired by Notre Dame College during the acquisition of Regina High School. A former host to the Regina High School performing arts, NDC and Mercury Theatre Company have found many uses for the space. It was originally built in 1971 and seated 1,000 individuals.
On August 25th, 2010, the first Notre Dame College General Meeting was held in the Regina Auditorium. The college has also used the space for plays, dance recitals, instrumental recitals, graduation ceremonies, guest speakers, and has had the Mercury Theatre Company put on performances there as well.
In 2018, a grant was secured for $200,000 to renovate the lobby area and restrooms and allow for a ticket booth and concessions to be added. The second phase of the renovation plan includes new interior and exterior doors, new lighting rigs for the stage, new carpeting, ceiling tiles, LED lighting, and bottle-fill fountains for the foyer. Donations and planning for this space started in 2019.
Many of the events hosted in the auditorium are free to the public and the college remains excited to keep expanding the space.
Residence Halls / Sisters Residence
Sisters of Notre Dame (SND) originally resided on the 4th floor of the Administration Building. When building construction was completed, the Sisters moved their residence from the former Ansel Road location of the college to the Administration Building. From the 1930’s to the 1970’s as many as 28-64 SND lived on campus at one time. During this time, several were also faculty members.
The 4th floor of the Administration Building had suites, a full-service kitchen, bathrooms, and shower rooms. All resident students and SND resided in the 4th floor rooms. When the first dorms outside of the Administration Building were built in 1959, the Sisters remained on the 4th floor while the students were moved to the new housing spot.
The Sisters remained in the Administration building through 1987, and the 4th floor became forbidden for students to enter. However, in June and July 1987, all SND were moved from the 4th floor of the Administration Building to Providence Hall. Providence remains one of the dormitory buildings for students on campus today.
After NDC started accepting male students in 2001, the Sisters began to move from Providence Hall to a residence on Lawnway Road. In 2002, the SND partially vacated Providence Hall. By July 1, 2004 all Sisters were moved to other residences. Presently, all Sisters live off campus and three still minister to Notre Dame College.
The idea of Falcon Radio (now called FalCOM) began almost 10 years ago in Professor Lisa Flaherty’s Communication class as students said they wanted to go into Sports Broadcasting and Podcasting. Interestingly, there has never been a radio station on campus – only a monthly printed newspaper.
In keeping with the culture of our campus, Professor Flaherty created an experiential learning “non” club to develop the plans for the station – including Marketing, Legal Research, Marketing and Branding, and Programming and Training. “Clubs” have the obligation to fundraise twice a year and Falcon Radio did not yet have the money to be an official club. The Student Run “non” club met a few times before the summer break of 2022.
The summer was spent looking for a space on campus for the station. A closet in Regina’s classroom was converted into a room with a door. The room had to be number 218 ½ because it was squeezed in between 218 and 219! Snazzy signage and equipment were put in place, and all was right with the world.
Full of determination and grit, two Strategic Communication classes collaborated to RE-launch FalCOM. Not radio anymore – the focus was shifted to COM – Communication. Now it was time to get things really moving!
Do you know that amazing feeling when something miraculous happens? That is how Professor Flaherty felt when walking down this very hallway a few short months ago. She was expressing frustration in not being able to secure the money to help the students. Ann Coakely, Director of Donor Relations for Advancement, simply asked, “how much do you need?” Absolutely stunned, Professor Flaherty said, “a few thousand dollars.”
In a few short weeks, an amazing $11,500 donation came to FalCOM from a former member of the NDC Board of Directors, Jack Myslenski and his wife Marsha. With the financial support, love and care of this terrific community, this small space will produce great conversations.
All are welcome to FalCOM to support the mission of Notre Dame through your ideas and voices.
The Notre Dame College Division of Nursing and its Caring Practice Lab areas, previously on the third floor of the Administration Building, were relocated and transformed into a state-of-the-art, interactive education center on this third floor of the south wing of Regina Hall in 2015.
Regina Hall, formerly Regina High School, was purchased by the College in 2011, a year after the school closed. In 1961 Regina High School added 20 classrooms and a convent for 40 Sisters of Notre Dame to the original building and completed the new south wing a year later. Many of these offices for nursing and other faculty reflect the size and shape of the Sisters’ residential rooms.
To help support the capital expansion drive to move nursing into this renovated space in Regina Hall, the College received a $500,000 donation from former trustee Michael Shaughnessy and his wife Marian, a professional nurse, and a $250,000 grant from the Parker-Hannifin Foundation.
From December 2013 to August 2014 the entire south wing of Regina Hall closed for renovation to accommodate the expanded nursing department and new space for the Thrive Learning Center, formerly the Academic Support Center for Students with Learning Differences. The renovation project also included improvements to the third and first floor corridors as well as upgrades to electrical, sprinkler and heating/cooling systems and a new elevator, new roof and new restrooms.
A total of 15,000 square feet of space on the third floor of the south wing of Regina Hall is now a clinical learning resource center configured like an actual hospital with interactive, technology-enhanced classrooms and offices for the nursing program. The relocation allowed for the centralization of these rooms, labs, faculty offices and support services for the program.
On September 26, 2014, Notre Dame dedicated the Center for Nursing Innovation and Education, later named the Shaughnessy Center for Nursing Innovation and Education. One technology-enhanced room provides a learning space for maternal/child health; one for adult acute care; and a third for emergency room triage and adult intensive care.
On October 9, 2014, the College hosted the Regina Hall South Wing Blessing and Ribbon Cutting ceremony, which included tours of the new nursing division and Thrive Learning Center.
In 2016, the Nursing Division introduced vSim, an online interactive virtual simulation program that provides a fully simulated learning experience for students. Actions during the simulation are recorded, resulting in a personalized feedback log to help each student identify areas of strengths or needed areas of improvement. A Mondopad monitor that has a built-in computer and projector enables the entire class to view and interact with simulations.
In 2021, the division added a relaxation space for nursing students in Regina 203. Funds were raised by a nursing professor and her daughter to convert and decorate the room.
Emergency Management Policy Studies
The Intelligence Program at Notre Dame College began as a concentration of study in 2005 following the terrorist attack on the United States on September 11, 2001. As the number of courses grew and a Graduate Studies program was designed, it was elevated to an official major at the College in 2009.
In October 2019, the College was awarded a Title III grant with the intent to strengthen the academic offerings of Notre Dame and provide educational opportunities for low-income and first-generation students. The Grant was written to create a Center for Intelligence and Security studies encompassing not only the Intelligence Studies program but expanding the curricula of the College with two new majors – Cyber Security and Emergency Management Policy Studies.
The Title III Grant has enabled the College to invest in three new classrooms with state-of the-art technology and software to equip students with the tools necessary to compete in the modern world.
In April 2021, Notre Dame College celebrated the official opening of its Center for Intelligence and Security Studies on the third floor of Regina Hall. The ceremony was attended by many public and private organizations who contributed to and collaborated on the Cyber Security Program, including State Senator, Kenny Yuko, who recognized Notre Dame College for its commitment to providing new opportunities and commended the College for its steadfast dedication to its students.
The fields of cybersecurity and intelligence are expected to grow exponentially in the next ten years, and Notre Dame is focused on competitive student success in these sectors.
Watch a video about the center ribbon cutting ceremony on YouTube.
Christ the King Chapel
The first mass was held in Christ the King Chapel on June 7, 1928 with a temporary altar. The chapel would take its present form later that year with the arrival of the Italian Siena marble alters just in time for the dedication of the new College on November 25th, 1928, with Cleveland Bishop Joseph Schrembs. In late 1929, the Holtkamp pipe organ was installed in the choir loft. It was built by Votteler, Holtkamp, and Sparling of Cleveland, Ohio.
From the beginning, the chapel has been open to people of all faiths for prayer and meditation. Alumni were always welcome to use the chapel for wedding ceremonies. The first wedding held in the Chapel was for Thelma Kiener (class of 1927) and Harold McGuire on August 7, 1930.
The Chapel was renovated in 2008. At that time, the stained-glass windows were removed for repair and the pews were sent to Tennessee to be refinished. The pipe organ was cleaned and tuned. Lighting was installed to properly light the stained-glass window over the Tabernacle. And the sound system was upgraded. Christ the King Chapel is still the preferred place to host College choir concerts because of the acoustics in the chapel.
In addition to the windows, pews, and pipe organ being restored, Siena marble that had been used for the old altar rail and had been in storage was used to build a new altar. On October 5, 2008, the Reverend Richard G. Lennon, Bishop of Cleveland, celebrated mass and rededicated the altar. During the dedication, holy relics from Saint Julie Billiart, Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, and Saint Catherine of Siena were deposited in the altar and permanently sealed there. Julie Billiart (1751-1816) was the founder of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. Elizabeth Ann Seton (1774-1821), founder of the Sisters of Charity and of the US Catholic school system, was the first native-born American to be named a saint (1975). Catherine of Siena (1347-1380), mystic and theologian, is the second woman to be named a Doctor of the Church. These relics connect us to the early traditions of Christianity when churches were built over the burial places of the saints.
The plaque in the back of the church acknowledges the contributions of the many benefactors who made the restoration possible.
The center altar, restored in 2008, is in wood and Siena marble with Carrera marble mosaic. The Tabernacle, also built in the same Italian marble, has the Greek letters in mosaic of the Alpha and the Omega on opposing sides symbolizing the eternity of God. “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty” (Revelation 1:8).
In the center are the letters “IHS,” a contraction of the Greek word for Jesus. It can be found in many places – in churches and on holy objects – throughout the world.
The altars to the left and right of the main altar display statues of Mary, Queen of Heaven, and on the right, St. Joseph, her husband, with the Christ Child in white Carrera marble. Note the mosaic insignias: on Mary’s altar there is an “AM” for Ave Maria – or Hail Mary. On St. Joseph’s altar, “SJ”.
The wooden altar of sacrifice features a relief of a pelican feeding her young. According to legend, when she has nothing else with which to feed her young, the mother pelican pierces her own breast to offer her life-blood to the chicks – an image of Jesus Christ feeding his people with his own body and blood.
In the rear of the church there is another marble altar with a replica of Michelangelo’s Pieta. On either side of the statue are angels in beautiful mosaic. They are reminiscent of the angels who appeared to Mary Magdalene and Mary, the mother of James, at the tomb of Jesus on the morning of the resurrection – “Suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them. In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, “Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; he has risen!” (Luke 24:4-6).
The Stained-Glass Windows
Unfortunately, we were not left any artist’s notes regarding the windows. But we do recognize the symbolism and believe that they represent the life of Jesus and Mary, especially his suffering and death. Other windows refer to the Sacraments and are meant to be more personal to the observer.
Center Window – Sacred Heart of Jesus
The stained-glass window above the Tabernacle depicts the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Additionally, you will note that this is a risen Christ wearing priestly vestments. At the top of the window, you will see a crown. This is to signify Christ as High Priest and King, an image chosen specifically for Christ the King Chapel. The Feast of Christ the King had been established in 1925 by Pope Pius XI, just when ground was being broken to build the Administration Building.
(Facing the back of the chapel from the position of the altar and walking to the right, the windows appear in this order.)
God’s Promise of Salvation
“When the dove returned to him in the evening, there in its beak was a freshly plucked olive leaf! Then Noah knew that the water had receded from the earth.” (Genesis 8:11).
Facing the doors and to the right of the altar, the first stained glass window depicts the dove with the olive branch and the butterfly. The dove and olive branch symbolize peace and grace and is also associated with baptism. The butterfly symbolizes transformation and foreshadows Christ’s conquering of death, and the promise of our own resurrection.
The Baptism of Jesus/Pentecost/Confirmation
“As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water. Suddenly the heavens were opened, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and resting on Him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased!” (Matthew 3:16-17).
The second set of windows to the right of the center altar, is that of the descending dove and the Trinity Cross – symbolizing the baptism of Jesus and his anointing as God’s Chosen One as well as the Baptism and Confirmation of all Christians. The hand of God with the trinity cross symbolizes the three entities of God in one – Father, Son, Holy Spirit. All of whom are presented in the story of Christ’s baptism.
The Last Supper/The Eucharist
“He said to them, ‘I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer, for, I tell you, I shall not eat it [again] until there is fulfillment in the kingdom of God.’ Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and said, ‘Take this and share it among yourselves; for I tell you [that] from this time on I shall not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.’” (Luke 22:15-18).
The third set of windows to the right of the altar is that of the Chalice and the Crown. The Chalice symbolizes the last supper or the Eucharist. Note the crown of thorns on the chalice foreshadowing the crown that the Roman soldiers would put on Christ’s head and His Passion which followed closely after the Last Supper. The window adjacent depicts a King’s Crown and a fleur de Lis sword piercing through the crown. This Crown and Sword symbol traditionally is meant as a reference to James 1:12, “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.”
Peter Denies Jesus Three Times
“Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken: ‘Before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.’ And he went outside and wept bitterly.”
“. . . Then the governor’s soldiers took Jesus into the Praetorium and gathered the whole company of soldiers around him. They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand. Then they knelt in front of him and mocked him. “Hail, king of the Jews!” they said.” (Matthew 26:75, 27:27-29).
The fourth set of windows to the right of the altar represent Jesus’ arrest, questioning, and scourging at the hands of the Romans. This is depicted by the Crown of thorns that the Roman soldiers would place on Jesus’ head. The rooster on the pillar is a reminder of Peter’s denial.
(Facing the back of the chapel, from the position of the altar and walking to the left, the windows appear in this order.)
Jesus is the Fulfillment of the Law of Moses
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.” (Mathew 5:17-18).
From the left side of the altar if you are facing the doors, the first stained glass window depicts the Ten Commandments, the traditional symbol of Mosaic Law as handed down to the people of Israel at Mt. Sinai. Adjacent is the crown and cross symbolizing Jesus’ coming into the world to fulfil the law and the prophets as King and Messiah.
The Dedication of Jesus
“Then it was time for their purification offering, as required by the law of Moses after the birth of a child; so his parents took him to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord. The law of the Lord says, “If a woman’s first child is a boy, he must be dedicated to the Lord.” So, they offered the sacrifice required in the law of the Lord—“either a pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons.” (Luke 2:22-24).
“After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, ‘Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.’” (Matthew 2:1-2).
The second set of windows on the left side is of caged doves and a rising star. The caged doves represent Jesus’ dedication in the Temple and the sacrifice his parents offered at his birth. Jesus was presented to the Simeon who had been promised by God that he would not die until he had seen the Lord’s Messiah. The star represents the Star of Bethlehem. Both symbols together represent the child, Jesus, recognized as the fulfillment of the prophesy as God’s Savior.
“The angel told her, ‘Don’t be afraid, Mary. You have found favor with God. You will become pregnant, give birth to a son, and name him Jesus. He will be a great man and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his ancestor David. Your son will be king of Jacob’s people forever, and his kingdom will never end.’ Mary asked the angel, ‘How can this be? I’m a virgin.’ The angel answered her, ‘The Holy Spirit will come to you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore, the holy child developing inside you will be called the Son of God.” (Luke 1:30-35).
Lilies have historically been the symbol of Mary. But this becomes even more evident in this window since the words “Ave Maria”, Hail Mary, are present. The dove represents the Holy Spirit coming to Mary as promised by the angel, Gabriel.
The Crucifixion of Jesus
“Pilate had a notice prepared and fastened to the cross. It read: Jesus of Nazareth, the king of the Jews. Many of the Jews read this sign, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city, and the sign was written in Aramaic, Latin and Greek. The chief priests of the Jews protested to Pilate, ‘Do not write ‘The King of the Jews,’ but that this man claimed to be king of the Jews.’ Pilate answered, ‘What I have written, I have written.’” (John 19:19-21).
There is no Biblical reference to a woman wiping the face of Jesus on his way to his Crucifixion. But Catholic tradition teaches that Veronica, a woman from Jerusalem, was moved with pity for him and offered him her scarf to wipe his face. Jesus’ image was miraculously captured on her scarf.
This window then depicts the Sixth Station on the Way of the Cross and the letters INRI are symbolic of Jesus’ crucifixion. The letters, INRI, represent the Roman words, Jesus of Nazareth King of the Jews – Iēsus Nazarēnus, Rēx Iūdaeōrum – which was fastened to Jesus’ cross.
The Stations of the Cross
Also on the walls are the Stations of the Cross, donated by Mr. and Mrs. Walter Quinlan of Shaker Heights in 1928. In the first centuries after the Roman empire, European Christians longed to make the pilgrimage to Jerusalem to visit the holy sites associated with the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. The Via Dolorosa took pilgrims through the city to the hill of Calvary. In the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, after Christians lost control of the Holy Land, people were no longer able to make the pilgrimage to Jerusalem safely. Some European priests then built outdoor “stations” to replicate the Via Crucis – the Way of the Cross – in their own towns. Later, these fourteen stations were installed inside churches, allowing the faithful to pray in union with Jesus in his passion.
The campus Grotto has a full history as a constant spot for students to reflect, pray, and take in inspiration and beauty from the world around them. Grottos in general are a symbol of Catholic Marian devotion.
On November 24th, 1937, the Our Lady of Lourdes outdoor grotto was built. William Heimberger and Bernard Muhle led the project, while the Rev. Edgar Bedard dedicated it. The Shrine was a direct copy of the Our Lady of Lourdes shrine in France. The original location was on the east side of campus, near Division Road. NDC students took the initiative to buy evergreen trees to plant around the Grotto. In 1942, a Christian Solidarity group replaced the statue, as it had become badly weathered. On October 20th, 1942, the new statue was blessed on Mary’s Day by Fr. McDonough.
In the 2008-2009 school year, the Grotto was relocated to its current location in the southeast corner of campus. This move was completed due to parking lot construction. In 2021, Max Hoelker renovated the Grotto as an Eagle Scout project. The serene place of beauty is what stands today, and it continues to give NDC students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors a quiet place of grace to pray and reflect.
The Great Room
Original to the Administration Building on the 3rd floor of the East Wing is the Great Room. Once called the Gold Room, it was renamed in December 1990.
When the cafeteria, now located in the Connelly Center, opened in 1968 there was no longer a need to host food service in the Administration Building.
In 2004, NDC received an elegant and ornate carpet that was first intended to be placed in the Federal Courthouse, making the Great Room even more grand.
Used today for meetings and important events, the Great Room has evolved in its use over the past century. It has remained a primary space for students, staff, faculty, and guests to gather at the college.
Admissions Office / Former Library
The rooms that house the Admissions Office today were once home to the NDC library. Original to the college, the library was opened in 1928, and could be found in the now-Admissions office until 1971. When the library opened it housed 6,000 articles. After opening, the college spent $2,169 to add more volumes to the library’s collection. At that time, the library was spending about $5 annually per student on books. By 1930, the library housed 10,000 volumes and 100 periodicals. In 1932, the library had 11 student workers during the school year.
1965 also flags the year that fundraising begins at Notre Dame College for a new Library and Performing Arts Center. In 1969, the groundbreaking commenced for the Clara Fritzsche Library. Upon its completion in 1971, a human chain was formed between the Admin Building and the new library building for 53,000 books and periodicals to be passed by hand from the old library location to the new. In Summer 1971, the new library was opened completely.
The original circulation desk remained in the former library location. It can be seen today in the immediate center of the Admissions Office and is still used by Notre Dame College’s Admissions Staff. Its elegance in dark wood is a remarkable sight.
Originally named the Rose Room, this space was renovated and renamed the Marian Room in April 1995 to house the Marian art collection. This was but the culmination of work begun in the early 1900’s by the Sisters of Notre Dame.
Today, the Marian Room acts as a reception room and displays statues of Mary donated to the College. It is a reminder of the Sisters’ legacy and dedication to all forms of Art.
Performing Arts Center / Former Gymnasium
From 1928 – 1986, the Performing Arts Center (or the PAC) was used as the gymnasium. When the College was founded, two years of physical education was required for all students. A stage across the north end provided space for theatre productions, speeches, and dance-band performances.
After the Keller Athletic Center opened in 1987, the gymnasium was no longer in use. In 1990, the Kulas Foundation awarded Notre Dame College a $100,000 grant matched by special donations to begin construction on the Performing Arts Center. The renovated space provided facilities on campus for the performing arts and gave the College a space for larger gatherings. It was equipped with lighting for art shows and theatrical productions as well as a dressing room, sound and lighting booth and elevator.
The first performance held in the PAC was a presentation of Our House, on March 25, 1993, put on by the Notre Dame College Masquers. Over the years, the PAC has been home to many plays and used to host concerts, lectures, and serves from time to time as an art gallery.
Priests’ Quarters / Bishop’s Suite
Since September 17, 1928, when the College building opened, the area on the first floor in the east wing on the north side of the hallway was designated as suites and reception rooms for the Bishop and the College chaplain’s use. Although the Bishop did not reside at Notre Dame College, it was customary to have accommodations for the Bishop since he served as the honorary president of the College.
On September 18th, 1928, Cleveland’s Most Rev. Archbishop Joseph Schrembs officially met the faculty in his suite and according to the Sisters of Notre Dame annals, “in a few words, exhorted them to co-operate toward a common objective—that of developing women of Christian character, according to the policy of the institution.”
In January 1930, the bishop presented to the College a small statue of St. Joseph, which he had brought back with him from a trip to Spain. All the Sisters of Notre Dame, including the sister superior, gathered around the Bishop in his suite for the occasion, where a supper was served.
The first chaplain at Notre Dame, beginning in 1923, was known as Father Swozel. Father Edward Mehok joined the College the same year as the building’s west wing was completed, in 1961, to celebrate the school liturgy every Friday, while Father Henry Hofer served as Notre Dame’s resident chaplain in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.
Father Hofer was referred to as “our man around the house,” in a 1974 student newspaper article. He would stroll the halls of the Administration Building and eat meals in the dining hall, as well as celebrate daily Mass and be available to counsel students in his receiving area.
In 2008, Notre Dame purchased a four-bedroom brick house at the corner of Division and Lawnway roads adjacent to campus in South Euclid. This gray house on Lawnway Road served as the home for the longtime Notre Dame caretaker, Bernard Muhle and his family, and then for Father Mehok as College chaplain and eventually for the president of Notre Dame. The house was demolished in 2019.
Since Fr. Mehok’s departure, the former bishop’s suite and priest’s quarters has been used for many administrative uses. Today the area serves as the office for the executive assistant to the College president.
Notre Dame College was founded in the Summer of 1922 with the first day of class occurring on September 18th, 1922. But it did not happen here. Classes were taught at Notre Dame Academy, the girl’s high school, on Ansel Road in what was called “Ansel Castle” through 1928.
Lapis hic primarius
Sororum de Notre Dame
“Under the auspices of Mary, the first stone of the college of the Sisters of Notre Dame, an institution for higher education of girls, is laid. AD 1927. “
Located at the center of campus and on the front lawn of the Administration Building is Quinlivan Circle and the Legacy Walkway. Constructed on October 16th, 2005, the Circle is made up of heated bricks to combat the cold Ohio winters. The bricks are engraved with names honoring friends and the NDC community. For symbolism, the bricks are meant to represent a promise written in stone that remembers all who have guided and support the college to its current state. There are also benches and trees for campus community members to enjoy.
The Quinlivan Circle honors Frances Quinlivan and is a reminder of her continuing influence on her students. A memorial bench is located at the Circle, dedicated to “Quinnie.” Today, students are often seen gathering in the circle together and enjoying activites. The annual Christmas Tree Lighting is also held at the Circle, a tradition loved by all at Notre Dame.
In the future, on October 13th, 2067, a time capsule buried under the Circle will be opened. It contains relics from the city of South Euclid’s centennial and was buried there in 2017. This future opening date will mark the city’s 150th anniversary.
The Notre Dame College Community Garden is part of the One South Euclid, Community Gardens Project.
In 2012, One South Euclid took over management of the city’s community garden program. The gardens were initially created as part of the city’s award-winning Green Neighborhoods Initiative, through funding received from HUD’s Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) in 2009. This provided over 120 plots and roughly 3,500 square feet of growing space throughout the city.
Located on the east end of the Notre Dame College campus, NDC Grows, a campus community garden, was established in summer of 2016 with support from the Legacy Village Community Fund. The fenced-in garden includes 17 4′ x 8′ raised beds, eight of which are available to community members. College students and summer programs can utilize nine beds.
Gravel paths surround the beds with most plots accessible on four sides. A cistern is on site to provide water captured from the roof of an adjacent composting facility. Basic garden tools and hoses are available. Compost generated from the College’s food and waste reduction initiatives, may be available to community plots.
The College garden also has a new greenhouse to allow for florae and fauna sights to see—and student and faculty coursework and research projects to take place—year-round.
NDC Grows is now a featured stop on the City of South Euclid, Ohio, Garden Walk. This annual municipal garden tour in Northeast Ohio brings approximately 200 visitors from as far away as Columbus and Erie, Pa., to neighborhood yards, area parks and the green space at the College each season. The campus community garden showcases 17 raised beds of vegetables, flowering plants and related seedlings, but sightseers on the self-guided city tours to the College also experience an education, environmental and engineering innovation.
Regina High School Acquisition
On January 24, 2011, Notre Dame College announced that its Board of Trustees approved the purchase of the former Regina High School at 1857 South Green Road. The neighboring school, established in 1953, closed in June 2011, citing decreasing enrollment.
Notre Dame purchased the building and acreage from the Sisters of Notre Dame. The College had leased all of its land from the religious order until purchasing it in 2008.
The acquisition of the building and 8 acres for about $2.2 million increased the College’s footprint to 50 acres and has provided space to construct a new main entrance off South Green Road. Notre Dame has been fundraising to build that new ingress as well as raising the money needed to update and renovate the former high school over the past 10 years.
During the early 1960s when enrollment at Regina was increasing, the high school expanded. It added 20 new classrooms and a larger library in 1962, an addition in 1963 and then an 1,100-seat auditorium in 1971. The building is three floors in the center and south wing, with the auditorium and a gymnasium in the north wing.
When Notre Dame’s Administration Building opened in 1928, it was visible from Cedar Road because it was surrounded only by orchards and farms at that time. As the city of South Euclid developed, several streets were built north of Cedar. The Administration Building now faces College Road and a neighborhood with several homes.
Although Notre Dame’s official address is 4545 College Road, there is no longer an ingress to campus from that street. Visitors enter off South Green Road, the same entrance that was used for Regina.
The College has also built its Mueller Field with bleachers and press box along South Green Road just south of Regina Hall and that entrance. The city of South Euclid has since installed a stop light at that ingress.
Following the closing of Regina High School, Notre Dame worked with the school to form a Students at Notre Dame program, called SAND, which allowed Regina students the opportunity to finish their senior year at the College and graduate as Regina alumnae. In addition to earning their Regina High School degree, the girls could earn up to 30 college credits in that one year. Of the 39 eligible students, 29 took part in the SAND program for the 2011-2012 academic year.
The Regina Alumnae Association representing the nearly 60 years the high school was open is still active today and often conducts events at Notre Dame’s Regina Hall.
Beginning in 2005 as the Academic Support Center, Thrive was renamed in 2020. The program serves students with learning differences. It gives focus on academic, social, and emotional support for students, personalized to their needs.
In Fall 2013, the college received an anonymous foundation’s challenge grant of $375,000 that was matched by the college in 2014. This was the first step in moving the Academic Support Center, now Thrive, to Regina Hall. Then, over two million dollars was put toward upgrading Regina Hall to accommodate not only Thrive but Nursing, faculty offices, and classrooms. Renovations were funded by gifts from foundations such as Smiley and Parker-Hannifin, as well as anonymous donations.
With the new space, more than double what it was in the library, Thrive now offers computer labs, lounges, testing areas, tutor spaces, and conference space. Former tutors include several of the Sisters of Notre Dame. The ribbon cutting for the space was in Fall of 2014.
Thrive has been recognized by organizations such as Milestones, the International Dyslexia Association, and the Learning Disabilities Foundation of America. In 2022, Thrive and Notre Dame College announced a new director Dr. Denise Brown-Triolo.
The home field for the Falcons is Mueller Field. A more recent addition to the NDC campus, Mueller Field was constructed in Summer of 2013 along South Green Road. Boasting brand new bleacher seating, a scoreboard, multipurpose turf, and a press box, Notre Dame College was ready to provide athletes and fans with a new home facility.
Alongside football, men’s and women’s soccer, rugby, and lacrosse each play their home games on Mueller Field. Also during the dedication year, men’s soccer hosted the very first on-campus NCAA DII playoff game. With such a successful opening season in Fall 2013, it was a sure sign of the greatness still to come in NDC sports.
In March 2014, the South Euclid Planning Commission and Architectural Review Board approved a plan for NDC to build bleachers on the west side of Mueller Field. The new seating would be 18 feet high and hold a capacity of 1,000 people near the 40-yard line.
Another NCAA DII tournament game was held on the field when football played against Hillsdale in November 2018. Later, in May 2021, women’s lacrosse captured the crown of the Mountain East Conference with two wins on Mueller Field. Finally, in most recent history, Falcon football hosted Slippery Rock University on November 14th, 2021 for an NCAA DII playoff game.
Notably, Normandy Field, located in front of the Administration Building and along College Road, was also resurfaced in the Summer of 2013 with multipurpose turf. This allowed soccer, rugby, lacrosse, and marching band to both practice and hold events on a new field. Normandy Field is named after Normandy Catering, which is the food service provider for the college. They donated over two million dollars to the college.
Prior to this history, a house known as the Siemer House once stood on the land where Mueller Field is now located. The farmhouse used to house Sisters, guests, students, and caretakers. It was used on campus until 1997. The South Euclid Fire Department used Siemer House as a controlled burn site to allow for the college to build bigger athletic facilities.
Today, Falcon fans can watch NDC student athletes continue to make history on Mueller Field.