Many private scholarships for college students are offered each year by a variety of corporate, professional, trade, government, civic, religious, social, and fraternal organizations. These scholarships can range in amount from small honorariums to thousands of dollars. To be considered, students must meet the eligibility criteria specified by the donor or sponsor and complete a scholarship application (if required).
Searching for and applying for scholarships is a time-consuming process, so it is a good idea to start as early as possible. Several companies offer computerized scholarship search services, often charging fees of $175 or higher. We do not recommend these services. Thoroughly investigate them before paying any of these types of fees. Read the Scholarship Scam Alert on The FinAid! website and information from the Federal Trade Commission.
There are many free search engines for students to use in searching for possible scholarships. Several are listed below
- College Board’s Scholarship Search
- FinAid (Financial Aid Information Page): This page has useful scholarship search links and information.
- Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU): HACU offers a scholarship resource guide for Hispanic students.
- Peterson’s College Quest
- College Now/Greater Cleveland: Scholarship link for students from the Greater Cleveland area.
- LEAF (Lake/Geauga Educational Assistance Foundation): Scholarship link for students from Lake and Geauga Counties.
- Akron Community Foundation scholarships
Listed below are some of the scholarships made available each year by private organizations and companies. We are providing a link to their site when the application process and guidelines are displayed.
- College Now/Greater Cleveland Adult Learner Program: (First bachelor’s degree only)
- Junior League of Cleveland Scholarship
- Jeanne Squire Memorial Scholarship (For women aged 25+ from Cuyahoga, Lorain, and Medina counties)
- Medina County Retired Teachers’ Association Scholarship (For Medina County high school graduates only)
- Department of Defense SMART Scholarship Fund
- FNSNA Nursing Scholarship
- AES Engineers Scholarship
- College Now/Greater Cleveland Adult Learner Scholarship
- Jane Edna Hunter Scholarship: (For full-time undergraduate women under the age of 30 who are Ohio residents)
- Jane D. White Fund Scholarship (For students over 25 with at least a one-year interruption in their education)
- Mary Elizabeth Keller Scholarship (For education majors residing in Lorain County or a graduate of a Lorain County high school)
- College Club West Scholarship (Women 25 years and older)
- B. Davis Scholarship
- Throckmorton Scholarship
DISCLAIMER: The information and external links in this scholarship listing are provided to the Notre Dame College and are reprinted here as a service to our website users. We do not administer these websites or routinely screen, approve, review, or endorse the content, products, or services that may be offered. In no event shall Notre Dame College be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any such content, goods, or services available on or through any such site or resource. Criteria may change (or may have changed) from the date posted, so inquire directly with individual programs. Some external links use social media and use of these websites is subject to privacy rules and policies of those applications and website operators.