Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Select Page

Special Circumstance Information

Notre Dame College acknowledges that a student’s ability to pay for college may be impacted by circumstances that cannot be reported on the FAFSA, or by situations that occur after the FAFSA has been filed.

The Special Circumstance Appeal/Request for Additional Aid Form allows you to share information with the Financial Aid Office that affects your ability to cover your educational costs.  (To access the online form, log on to My.NDC, go to the Financial Aid tab, and click the link in the upper-left corner.)

The Office of Financial Aid will review your appeal and determine if supporting documentation is required.  All requests will be made through your NDC e-mail.  If requested documents are not received within 30 days of the request, your appeal will be closed.  (You may re-apply by completing a new online form.)

You will be notified of the results of your appeal via NDC e-mail.

Additional Funding Sources

Additional options to assist you in covering your college costs include:

  • Federal PLUS Loan:  PLUS loans are low-interest educational loans that allow parents to fund the cost of their student’s education.  A parent is eligible to borrow up to 100% of the estimated cost of their student’s expenses, including tuition, room and board, books, transportation and additional expenses, minus any other financial aid awarded to the student.   The first step is to request a PLUS Loan at the Department of Education’s website: A student whose parent is denied a federal PLUS Loan for credit reasons is eligible for additional unsubsidized federal Direct Loan funds.  The amount varies based on the student’s grade level ($4,000 to $5,000 per year).
  • Alternative (private) student loans:  Many banking institutions provide educational loans outside of the federal loan programs. These loans are referred to as PRIVATE or  ALTERNATIVE LOANS. Lenders provide these loans at low interest rates to credit-worthy borrowers.  In general, you may borrow funds equal to the cost of education minus any financial aid offered through the school. A credit-worthy borrower or co-signer is needed.  (The co-signer need not be a parent.)
  • HFLA loan:  HFLA of Northeast Ohio was established in 1904 to help individuals in Northeast Ohio have access to interest free loans in times of need when conventional funds are not available to them.   This program awards interest free education loans—regardless of religion or ethnicity—to students who have a shortfall in funding their education. Education loans can also be used for both undergraduate programs and graduate programs.