Game Design Concentration: 21 additional credits
In keeping with the mission and the purposes of Notre Dame College, the Graphic Design program offers students a liberal education that enables them to think critically, observe analytically and form interpretations in dealing with issues of visual communication and the culture and purposes that it serves. The course content provides students with the tools to develop professional visual communication
competency and personal communication proficiency, so that they can interact with the industry and compete in the global community.
As a result of the concentration and in alignment with the Graphic Design major, students will be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Students will understand the elements of game design: aesthetics, mechanics, story and technology.
- Students will understand the methods and rules of game design.
- Students will differentiate types of games, educational and entertainment.
- Students will analyze educational assessment of game design.
- Students will participate in and experience the creative process through teamwork.
- Students will participate in the processes of design including brainstorming.
- Students will gain insight into the creative process through improvisation.
- Students will design and implement a senior capstone collaborative project.
Graphic Design Major: 51 Credits
Core Art Requirements: 36 Credits
AR 101 Drawing I
AR 114 Introduction to Graphic Design
AR 209 Photography I
AR 221 Basic Design
AR 222 Color and Design
AR 223 Graphic Design I
AR 224 Graphic Design 2
AR 300 Graphic Design 3
AR 314 Impressionism to Now
AR 325 Printmaking I
AR 371 Three Dimensional Design
AR 400 Graphic Design 4 (Thesis and Packaging)
Technology Requirements: 9 credits
IS 243 Multimedia Development
IS 245 Website Design and Development
IS 443 Advanced Multimedia Design
Business Requirements: 3 credits
BU 301 Consumer Behavior or
BU 390 Advertising
Co-Op Requirements: 3 credits
Game Design concentration prerequisites: 9 credits
MA 221 Statistics
IS 222 Programming Logic and Design
PY 201 General Psychology
Game Design Courses: 12 credits
CA 260 Improvisational Acting
AR 215 Introduction to Game Production
AR 225 Fundamentals of Game Design
AR 450 Senior Collaborative Projects OR AR 491 Senior Studio