Students completing a major in psychology will be prepared for graduate-level work in clinical, experimental and/or applied psychology and for entry level positions in the mental health care field and/or working in behavioral research laboratories. Psychology coursework is also appropriate for students planning careers in education, law, nursing, business, criminal justice, and intelligence analysis.
Students majoring in psychology at Notre Dame College will seek to understand behavior and mental processes by exploring the individual in a biopsychosocial context free of biases and judgment. One main goal of the psychology major is the development, in the student, of a healthy skepticism and intellectual curiosity by asking questions about the causes of human behavior. Most importantly, we encourage application of knowledge to empower students to make responsible and thoughtful decisions in all areas of life to enhance the mind, the body and the spirit.
Student Learning Outcomes
When students complete the psychology major they will be able to:
- Knowledge Base in Psychology Describe key concepts, principles, and overarching themes in psychology. Develop a working knowledge of psychology’s content domains Describe applications of psychology.
- Scientific Inquiry and Critical Thinking Use scientific reasoning to interpret psychological phenomena. Demonstrate psychology information literacy. Engage in innovative and integrative thinking and problem solving. Interpret, design, and conduct basic psychological research Incorporate sociocultural factors in scientific inquiry
- Ethical and Social Responsibility in a Diverse World Apply ethical standards to evaluate psychological science and practice. Build and enhance interpersonal relationships. Adopt values that build community at local, national, and global levels
- Communication Demonstrate effective writing for different purposes. Exhibit effective presentation skills for different purposes. Interact effectively with others
- Professional Development Apply psychological content and skills to career goals. Exhibit self-efficacy and self-regulation Refine project management skills. Enhance teamwork capacity. Develop meaningful professional direction for life after graduation.
Earn your B.A. in Psychology online. LEARN MORE >>