The Mathematics Department program mission is to educate students with a broad foundation in mathematical knowledge, applications and aesthetics for the purpose of preparation for careers, graduate school and personal enrichment. Students pursuing either a Bachelors of Arts or Bachelors of Science in Mathematics must complete the common major requirements as well as an area of concentration chosen.
Student Learning Outcomes
The Mathematics Program Mission is to educate students with a foundation in mathematical knowledge, applications and aesthetics for preparation for careers, graduate school and personal enrichment.
Program outcomes include incorporating activities that will help students be able to:
- Analyze and use critical thinking to solve mathematical applications.
- Solve problems with mathematical competency and a willingness to find multiple strategies.
- Read, understand and complete proofs of mathematical concepts successfully.
- Communicate mathematical concepts clearly.
- Show an appreciation and knowledge of historical developments in mathematics and the people who accomplished them.
- Appropriately use technology to solve mathematical problems.
PRE-PROFESSIONAL MATHEMATICS CONCENTRATION
This area of concentration will provide the students with the opportunity for personal growth by preparing them for further studies in graduate school as well as for entry level positions in various mathematical and other related professions, and will show the students how they can use their individual skills to better our society as a whole.